Wednesday 4 April 2007

1000 Paper Cranes

They say that if you fold one thousand paper cranes your wish will come true. And so, I set to work. I had much to wish for: world peace, riches, talent, more wishes, whatever. At any rate, call it a meditative experience, and a lesson in origami. I gathered around me one thousand and fifty beautiful squares of paper purchased from an art shop, the fifty spare as insurance for mistakes. I had every colour of the rainbow at my disposal and more. I had neon, metallic, gloss, fluorescent, striped, mottled, matt and holographic. I had big and small, stiff and flimsy, delicately transparent and robustly opaque. I folded, I botched and I triumphed and dreamed.

I bent and I scored and appraised and completed.

I bent and I scored and yawned and saw a plethora of faces that would have stared at me blankly if only they had not been so blank they weren’t actually there.

I yawned and I ached but I did not give up. I wanted to complete the task. I wanted the experience under my belt. My eyes seared and my hands ached dully from many tiny bird bites (paper cuts).

I woke up with a crane stuck to my face, peeled it off and resumed.

The quality was slipping but I hardly noticed through the lethargy-smeared stain of my vision. I suspect that if I had noticed at the time I would not have cared anyway.

A few days later I was finished, and finished. One thousand and twenty nine and a half pieces of not-so-artfully crumpled tree pulp littered the room.

I wished I had not folded one thousand paper cranes.







Link of the Day: Free Zmister Dashkevich They want 10 wishes.

They look more like swans to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that isn't a crane.

your wish probably would've come true if you hadn't made a thousand paper DUCKS.

batflower said...

I was inspired to write the story after I made a "crane" as suggested by the page on the Amnesty International website according to their design (link provided). I know it's not the traditional crane shape. I don't think it looks much like a crane either, as you can see in my post under the link, I think it looks more like a swan. Swans are like ducks, I suppose, so we agree.

I never actually made any other origami waterfoul. The story is fiction. What sort of a nut would actually do that?